Many people think that the only way to get your protein is with meats, cheese and eggs. However, this couldn’t be further from the truth. There are plenty of ways to get yourself the protein that you need to lead an active lifestyle, without gorging yourself on heavy, fatty animal byproducts. Which is not to say that it’s a bad idea to eat these foods in moderation, you just want to be sure that you can get the strength and energy you need from foods that burn more quickly and easily. If you are an athlete, finding healthy sources of protein is a must, and it’s always important to find tasty varieties of food to live a healthy lifestyle. Here are five high-protein healthy snack ideas.
- Almonds and pistachios. Nuts are a great way to get a healthy source of protein without all of the saturated fat that you’re so desperately trying to avoid. Most varieties of nuts are a decent source of protein, but almonds and pistachios are definitely the most densely packed, and generally less expensive than other nuts. Mix these nuts into your favorite trail mix for a great source of healthy snacking.
- Quinoa salad. Did you know that quinoa is the only grain that is also a complete protein? It’s true. In fact, quinoa is loaded with protein and other nutrients that you need to stay healthy and strong. It doesn’t have much flavor on its own, but if you mix it with plenty of seasoning and vegetables, you can make a yummy snack that is very low in fat.
- Lentils and brown rice. Lentils are not a complete protein, but when mixed with rice they are. Lentils are one of the least fattening of all of the legumes, and they taste great. If you are trying to lose weight, you’ll want to stay away from white rice and eat brown rice instead. Season this mix with your favorite spices for a low fat snack that is both tasty and filling.
- Turkey jerky. If you are a big fan of beef jerky, then the switch to turkey jerky shouldn’t be too difficult. On its own, turkey has a tendency to be a bit dry and flavorless. However, when it is cured, dried and seasoned, it is a delicious way to get all of the protein your are looking for without all of the fat that comes with beef jerky. Another great thing about it is that there is no preparation required. Just buy it off the shelf and throw it in your bag, and you have an amazing snack waiting for you whenever you’re ready for it.
- Hummus dippers. Hummus is a delicious mediterranean dip made from garbanzo beans (also known as chickpeas), tahini, and olive oil. It is often mixed with different kinds of spices as well, depending on the taste preferences of its maker. The garbanzo beans are packed with protein and low in fat. Throw a few tablespoons of hummus in a mason jar with a few carrot sticks and celery sticks, and you’ve got a super tasty, protein-filled snack.