Would you like to learn how to make homemade essential oils and enjoy the full arsenal of properties that have medicinal plants?
Are the components that give the smell of plants and animals some very specific substances. Extremely volatile, are soluble in other oils, concentrates and after him have a long tradition in herbal medicine as they have beneficial health qualities.
They are, in principle, a pleasure, as they concentrate all plant aroma. Therefore, they have been widely used in traditional perfumery. Therefore aromatherapy and applied topically and even ingested, almost all have medicinal properties. As the list is long, we will not put here even the most used.
How Essential Oils are made
Are extracted in different ways:
- Cold-pressed, such as olive oil, which is not an essential simply pressing flowers, leaves or roots (as appropriate for each floor) with a special iron.
- By distillation using a boiling water still. Steam drops to stick elevating essential oils through the tubes up to a container where it is collected.
- Also by the method of maceration with other fats such as almond oil or avocado.
Although you can buy or build yourself a press and / or a still, very simple, comfortable and less cumbersome at home is to extract oil by the immersion method. Unless you want to do oils, alcohols or soaps to sell, the other processes are too laborious to spend some leisure time. In my personal opinion! You may think otherwise.
How to make homemade essential oils
To make our homemade essential oils are needed:
- Branches and fresh leaves (very important) picked vegetables as dry have lost some of essences. Lavenders, pinks, lemons, orange peels, violets … can serve to make our first recipes.
- Pure alcohol pharmacy.
- It is very important to take time and do show patience.
- Almond oil type (my favorite), avocado and sunflower massage.
We proceed as follows:
- Each of the leaves, branches or selected in a separate container is inserted flowers. If not, what comes out is a mess it will be difficult to handle. We must be generous quantities.
- Fill with alcohol until everything is covered, cover and store in a cool place. Now you need a lot of patience and you have to wait until the alcohol evaporates. It may take several weeks!
- After this process removes the branches and surplus products carefully and removed with great care and helping a dark wooden instrument grounds that have been at the bottom of the pot.
- Mix equal parts with the base oil and stir until liquid is dissolved.
- Homemade essential oils should be stored in a location outside of the intense light, moisture and heat.
Did you know that …?
Throughout Europe during the Middle Ages, the “unauthorized” who dared to investigate the properties of plants and their oils, could be accused of heresy (a crime, then, quite serious).
By contrast, naturalists, doctors or healers who had, somehow or another authority to study this discipline gave ointments or fairly effective remedies for ailments of all kinds. Needless to say selling this knowledge to good price.
In the late twentieth century turned to rehabilitate this tradition for your good health outcomes and sophisticated perfumery and aromatherapy products that are achieved.